The Hallmarks of a Notre Dame de Namur Learning Community, developed by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur in collaboration with SND learning communities, are:
- We proclaim by our lives even more than by our words that God is good.
- We honor the dignity and sacredness of each person.
- We educate for and act on behalf of justice and peace in the world.
- We commit ourselves to community service.
- We embrace the gift of diversity.
- We create community among those with whom we work and with those we serve.
- We develop holistic learning communities which educate for life.
Reflection: Although I have never heard of the NDNU Hallmarks until recently when the class was introduced to this project, I now understand how some professors really did follow the meanings of the NDNU hallmarks without even knowing them myself prior. I truly believe that most of the professors are all about helping and believing in their students. Not only are they so understanding, they were there every step of the way when I needed help. Each class was so intimate in the sense of everyone, including the professor, knowing each other and in a way caring about one another. No one was left behind. Our classes were diverse and full of culture from all over. That sure does stand by the fifth hallmark. Every student was important to the professor and that made me feel very comfortable. Being at NDNU feels very welcoming each time I am there for class. Interacting with other students, has made me feel more comfortable with speaking to others and not shying away. We truly do adhere by the sixth hallmark on this. Interacting with others has been a great appreciation and understanding of who we each are in class and what we bring in to help others.